Thursday, July 19, 2012

Meet Bob Garick, Author of Ink!


Hi Everyone! I wanted to take some time to introduce a writer friend of mine, Bob Garick. Bob has a fantastic book out at the moment, Ink, and if you act right now, you can get Ink for free! WOO HOO! 
As part of introducing you all to Bob and his book, I thought it would be fun to do a quick interview so here goes!

HP: So, Bob, tell us how you became an indie author? What was your road to indiedom like? 

Bob:  I’d been writing since I was a kid but as I moved through college and into marriage and parenthood, I lost sight of it – though I would return to it periodically. But when my oldest daughter was in middle school she expressed her love of writing and wanted to pen her own novel.  That’s when we discovered Nanowrimo (the National Novel Writing Month).  I tried and I was hooked.  I’ve done it every year since.  I’d always thought that I’d make my way back to writing and this is what finally got me there.

HP: Can you tell us a bit about Ink? What's the story about and what genre would you consider it?

Bob: Ink is a humorous urban fantasy (is that even a genre).  It’s the story of a young graphic artist who discovers that ink drawn on her skin comes alive and leads her on a quirky adventure that starts off with a run in with Mr. Right and ends up in a show down with Mr. Big.

HP: Is Ink a series or a standalone?

Bob: Currently it is a standalone, but I cannot get Tracy’s voice out of my head.  Her character and her irreverent personality won’t sit quietly for a single novel. 

HP: Is Ink the only book you have available at the moment? What are your plans for future books?

Bob: Ink is the only one up on Amazon at the moment.  I do have two others in the works but they aren’t quite ready for download.  The first has a working title of THE BROOKDALE COMMUNITY THEATRE PRESENTS: THE SHOW MUST GO ON.  It is the story of a young man whose life breaks down as he passes through a little town in Virginia. Desperate for money, he takes a job as a substitute teacher -- just enough to fix his car and get him back onto the road. But it is when he is drafted in directing the community theatre's production of a Broadway musical, that he gets his life and his future back on track. 
My other novel in the works is HUGH.  Hugh is the tale of a middle school boy who -- as the only surviving member of a cult -- learns to fit in with his distant relations in a small Florida town. It is a simple story of mass suicide, coming of age, Jamaican witchcraft, teenage angst with a pinch of reanimated dead.

HP: Can you tell everyone where they can download a copy of Ink for free?

Bob: For the next few days, Ink is available for free from Amazon.com.  Amazon Prime members can borrow the book for free as well.  You can find it here
http://www.amazon.com/Ink-ebook/dp/B00848S92Q.

HP: Where can my readers find out more about you, Bob? Do you have a website, Facebook page, Twitter account, etc?

Bob: I do have a website up with some more information about Ink -- and there’s some information about me there as well.  You can find that at
http://bobgarick.com.  For a more interactive experience, check out my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ink/288386174552594.

HP: Who are some of your favorite authors?

Bob: Of course, I am a huge fan of yours, HP.  But I am also a big fan of Christopher Moore, Janet Evanovich, and Chuck Palahniuk.  But I’m ALWAYS looking for new author to read.  Problem is, when I  find one I read everything that I can get my hands on and pretty soon I’m looking for my next author.  I’m an addict.

HP: Ah, thanks! What are you reading now?

Bob: I just finished Christopher Moore’s Fool (for the third time).  I just love that book.  My youngest daughter has been reading Patrick Carman’s Skeleton Creek novels and they’ve sucked me in as well.  They’re an interesting blend of journaling and online video content which plays an integral part of the story.  I’ve been noodling with the idea of integrating websites, text messages, and videos into the “reading” experience to make it much more interactive and I think this those book are a successful step in that direction.  I think eBooks have some interesting potential in this type of writing.

HP: How do you deal with procrastination and writers' block?

Bob: NaNoWriMo.  The National Novel Writing Month (nanowrimo.org).  Happens every November.  50,000 words in 30 days.  Unfortunately I still need my “regular” job and it is a huge drain on writing time.  But NaNoWriMo allows me to get the bulk of my ideas on paper.  Then I have something to work with for the rest of the year.

HP: How would you describe the heroine of Ink?

Bob: On October 30, 2009, I committed myself to trying Nanowrimo.  I had NO idea what I was going to write about even though it started in less than 48 hours.  So I asked my oldest daughter (my nanowrimo writing buddy) if she had any ideas.  She told me that my novel had to be about a girl and it had to be funny.  Deep character development, huh?  But as I wrote, this voice emerged for Tracy that defined her character.  And now, when I hear from people who have read the book, it is her voice and her perspective that really strikes a chord.

HP: Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions, Bob! I'm really excited to introduce you and your book to my readers! I'm sure they will love it as it is very funny and an all-around fantastic read!

So, listen up all of you! Get this book while it's still free!
Again, here are the links!!!


http://www.amazon.com/Ink-ebook/dp/B00848S92Q
http://www.bobgarick.com
http://www.bobgarick.com/facebook

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds awesome. A story about an artist who writes on herself and then goes on adventure. Wish I'd thought of it. Getting my copy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I love the Jolie Wilkins series but wonder if there are any plans for Witchful thinking on Kindle, read all the others and dying to be able to download the next ones.
    Judith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't read any of the comments here LOL... I do not want to read any spoilers I'm on Witchful Thinking... yes I've become obsessed with the series but I'm also getting Pissed! LOL... Seriously, I'm wanting her to hook with with Sinjin! I sure hope he doesn't turn out to be a bad person like everyone else the series makes him out to be and it drives me crazy when Jolie talks her way out of his feelings from him to her and vice-versa! SO FRUSTRATING! that's it for now... I'll keep reading and I'm sure I'll continue to get get angry LOL

    ReplyDelete