Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lord Byron, I Heart You!

I'm a big fan of classic romantic literature, especially poetry.

This is one of my favorite poems by English poet, Lord Byron:

She Walks In Beauty

SHE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that 's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

Fun story:

My brothers (twins and four years my junior) went to the same English boarding school that Byron attended. Anyway, they took me for a walk through the grounds one day and we wound our way up a grassy knoll, at the top of which was a sinking and decrepit looking tomb. One of my brothers told me to sit on the thing for a picture (which I can't find!) and then proceeded to tell me that the same spot on which I was sitting was where Byron wrote much of his earlier poetry.

Here is a painting of Byron on that exact tomb. Pretty cool, eh?



So some fun facts about Lord Byron:

* He was 5'11" and apparently was pretty hot, by English standards in the early 1800s anyway.

* For most of his life he was a vegetarian

* He died at 36 from a fever contracted while in Greece. Very sad day! :(

* Everything he did was in excess and he incurred huge debts, had numerous love affairs (he was known as a total womanizer)

* He may have been bipolar or may have suffered from depression

* He had a club foot. At the time because he was so popular, people actually would walk with a limp in honor of Byron--he made it fashionable.

Here is a picture of him:



Hmm, seems pretty handsome to me!

2 comments:

  1. I like Lord Byron too. Isn't there a lot of mystery surrounding him. I know he is thrown in with the Vampire genre a lot. Great poem BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I'm loving your blog, BTW!

    ReplyDelete