Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Interview with Paranormal Romance author, HT Night!

Hi All!
I have a special guest on my blog today! His name is HT Night and he's an indie author of paranormal romance. I think you all would really enjoy his books so I wanted to get him on my blog! So, without further ado...here's HT!

HP: Hi HT and welcome to my blog. Thank you for being here and I'm so excited to get to know you better!


HT: Thank you for having me. I am very excited to speak with you. I have admired you for some time.


HP: Ah, thank you! So, your first question, what would you say your books are about? Are they a series?


HT: My main series is Vampire Love Story. It's about a young man who gets thrown into a paranormal world and discovers himself in the process. It's about his journey and all that he is not to force to deal with. Along the way, he makes great friends.

I think it's an extremely different kind of paranormal romance. It is told from a male's perspective, but I believe it still appeals to women because he's very passionate about everything. The series is about friendship and love as well as vampires and werewolves.


HP: How many books do you have out right now?


HT: As of today, I have five novels and one screenplay out.


HP: Which of your books would you recommend for my readers to start with?


HT: I would recommend Vampire Love Story or Werewolf Love Story to start with. Vampire Love story is told through Josiah Reign's eyes and it will give the reader a foundation of all the characters and where they are going. I would also recommend for a reader to start with Werewolf Love story if they wish because the story takes place five years earlier. The book is through Josiah's best friend Tommy's eyes.


HP: So, not all my readers know that your brother is the paranormal bestseller, JR Rain. Have you guys worked on any books together?


HT: Yes. He is my brother. J.R. is a beast. He has been pursuing a career in writing since he was thirteen years old. We used to write Choose Your Own Adventure books when we were kids. J.R. inspires me and encourages me on a daily basis. He is my main reason why I have decided to to this full time. He has always believed in my story telling abilities and I think he is a brilliant writer. Scott Nicholson, he and I are writing a book called 'Night School' together. My brother and have also been talking seriously about writing a paranormal book about William Shakespeare.


HP: Can you give us an average day in the life of HT Night, vampire author?


HT: It depends on the day. Over the past two months, I wrote Werewolf Love Story and Forever and Always(Vampire Love story book #3) simultaneously. So the last two months have mainly been about writing. I get up around 6:30 a.m. and go for a walk for about an hour. Feed my eight year old son, and then we usually snuggle and watch cartoons or play video games. Then I take my son to his Nana's house (my mom) and then I drive over to B'Daulton Bookseller in Riverside. I sit down at their cafe and write or edit for three to four hours. I love writing there because it inspires me being around all those great books. They also make great soup. After that, I pick my son up and go back home and spend the rest of the day writing and editing at my house. Usually in the evening, I take my son to the park or the pool. I like to end my day by walking or doing something physical.



HP: Do you believe in ghosts?


HT: That's an awesome question because that speaks to the core of me. It's my analytical brain versus my spirituality heart. I'd say most days I do believe in ghosts, because it is my belief that there's so much we don't know. Ask my brother J.R. about the time we burnt a book because we thought it was possessed as kids.


HP: What did you do before becoming an author?


HT: I was teacher. I taught elementary school and then I was a CEO of an after school company. We would teach drawing, acting, writing, board games and sports.


HP: Are any of your characters modeled after you or people you know?


HT: Tommy and Josiah are a lot like my brother and I. Tommy has my sense of humor and Josiah physically looks like my brother and I did in our early 20's. Yari is a mixture of all the tough women I have dated over the years. Lena (Vampire Love story) and Maya (Werewolf Love story) represent the kind of women I have always fallen for.


HP: What do you love most about being an author?


HT: I love creating characters that I fall in love with. I love it when I'm writing a scene and it consumes me. I'll be writing it for a couple of hours straight and then I look up at the clock and I feel like I had just experience everything I just wrote. It's like I just lived it, then I need a good snap back to reality. My son is good at giving me those.


HP: Would you ever consider becoming a traditionally published author?


HT: Definitely. I would love to someday be have a series or two in bookstores.


HP: What is your favorite book?


HT: 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card. I also love... wait for it. Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller. I think both books are styles I try to emulate. I love a good action scene, but I'm a sucker for romance.


HP: Who has had the biggest influence on you in terms of your writing career?


HT: Like I said earlier. My brother is bar none my biggest influence. Sometimes I read chapters of his and I'm in awe of how he constructs his thoughts so it has a fluidity that is similar to a melodic scale. J.R. Rain in my inspiration as a writer and as a human being. There is no one more generous and or as thoughtful and caring as he. He's a good man. Oh by the way, he is available ladies.


HP: Do you have any advice for other authors out there or people who are thinking of becoming indie authors?


HT: Follow your own style. If it's something you were meant to do, you will find an audience. Also, don't allow your worth to be translated in what people write about you.


HP: Thank you so much for spending some time with us! I really appreciate it! I can't wait to meet up with you at our August book signing in Seattle! Thanks again, HT!!!!!


HT: Thank you H.P.

4 comments:

  1. Love your stuff H.T.!!! Keep up the great work! Thanks for having him H.p.!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview!!!! Love your books!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. H.T. thanks for the interview. Great Books.

    ReplyDelete