Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Author Discovery Post 2

Okay, so I know it's been a while since I posted about the Fire Burn series and my author notes about the characters so I thought I'd start off everyone's Tuesday with a certain handsome warlock.

Ah, Rand. Where did you come from and why are you so frustrating with your vacillations back and forth, your incredible sense of loyalty and your dedication to all that is moral in the world?

Well, Rand was a tough one to create. I wasn't interested in writing a male lead who wasn't anything short of gorgeous. I wanted Rand to be as beautiful on the outside as he is on the inside so I racked my mind with images of all the men I've found attractive over the years. My ultimate ideal of male beauty is Paul Newman back when he stared in movies like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Good God, has anyone seen that? That man was beauty personified. But, I also wanted my warlock to be as man as possible, so I thought of Sean Connery as James Bond. Someone beautiful but proud, sure and dangerous.

As strange as it sounds, I never truly had an image of what Rand would look like. I had hints and inklings from various characters I've read (Mr. Darcy, my all-time favorite) and movie stars but none of them ever really portrayed my warlock. So, Rand, to this day, is his own person--I've posted images of men I think come closest to my idea of the physical Rand but there is still something missing, something not quite there and I've learned to accept that. Rand defies categorizing.

So, as to the relationship between Rand and Jolie... I wanted it to be difficult, strained and often times, uncomfortable. Rand has been alive for a long time and as such, he's been a bachelor--stuck in his ways, stubborn and maybe not the most welcoming of change. Jolie, on the other hand, is youth and vibrancy. She's learning what it means to be a witch with awesome powers--put these two together and you're bound to get some sort of drama.

I loved the idea of a man torn by what his heart demands and what his brain refutes. Rand knows, first and foremost, he is Jolie's protector and teacher. And he can't bring himself to accept the fact that, let's face it, the dude is lusting after her! Due to his austere English roots and his conservative lifestyle, he constantly battles himself--fighting against his love for Jolie, trying to rationalize it.

I think the true lesson Rand must learn is that love can't be rationalized, it either is or it isn't. And he'll have to fight his own internal battles to claim the woman he loves...before a certain vampire with ice blue eyes tries to woo her away!

Oh, if you want to see the pics I chose of the warlock closest to my heart, here are the best two:




Have a great Tuesday!
~HP

7 comments:

  1. You have no idea how much I love it that you mentioned Paul Newman, Sean Connery, AND Mr. Darcy. Now it makes perfect sense as to why Rand is so hot. I love them all. *swoon* I heart Rand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizzie! Ah, I'm so happy that you love Newman, Connery and the timeless Mr. Darcy as well! Thanks so much for the comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie said it all! I deeply enjoyed reading how you created your Jolie and Rand. I hope tomorrow is about Sinjin. I don't know why, but I *heart* him as much as Rand! ;-)

    When I write my hero and heroine, I go through a similar process as you wrote about above. I believe our heroes have to be as unique as our story. No cookie cutter mold here. I completely understand how pain staking a process it is! You did a wonderful job creating Rand as well as Jolie. I have been fascinated from the beginning how you took a very well used premise in the paranormal romance genre, twisted it and made a completely unique tale. Fabulous job indeed!

    ~Talina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever watched A Hazard of Hearts? The male lead could come close to the Rand I see in my head :0 )

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh, I love Rand. And I love how in depth you get with showing us why he sometimes goes back and forth with admitting and showing the way he feels about Jolie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha...the first picture is like...EXACTLY who I thought Rand was :D

    ReplyDelete