Thursday, December 9, 2010

Introducing author and my critique partner, Lori Brighton!

OK, I want to introduce everyone to someone I should have introduced you to a long time ago! Where was my brain? LOL Meet Lori Brighton, published author and indie author of historical romance, paranormal romance and young adult paranormal romance. Incidentally, Lori is also my critique partner and has been for oh, the past three years I think it is.

Lori, has it been three years?

L: I have no idea! I’m getting old. The day’s just sort of blur together now. I do remember getting that email from you though, asking if I wanted to be critique partners and I was thinking, hmm, who is she? I never told you this, but I totally googled you before saying yes. lol. Hey, can’t be too careful.

HP: So, I want to first let everyone know that Lori had a humongous part of helping me edit and shape Fire Burn into what you all read so I will be forever grateful to her for that. And, she’s read and critiqued Warlock and Toil and Trouble. Lori was with me when I got my first agent and when that agent took me all of…nowhere! LOL and it was Lori who first told me about self publishing on kindle. So, needless-to-say, I love Lori!!!! Now that all the gushing is out of the way, I want to introduce you all to Lori’s books. OK, Ms. L, what books do you currently have available and give us a little blurb about each one.

L: Awww, I love you too!

As of right now I have a historical with a bit of paranormal available through Kensington Publishing, Wild Heart. But that book has been out for over a year so I’ll talk about my newer releases.

The Ghost Hunter, a contemporary paranormal romance, is my first self published book. Here’s a blurb:

When Ashley Hunter inherits the Inn where her father mysteriously vanished years ago, she jumps at the chance to finally uncover the truth about his disappearance. But soon after taking ownership of the decrepit building, Ashley realizes she’s in for far more than she bargained. Not only has she inherited answers to many sought-after questions, she’s also inherited spirits, demons and even fallen angels! Then Cristian arrives, a gorgeous man who insists he merely needs a room to rent. She believes him, until one by one her ghosts start disappearing...

As a fallen angel destined for a life of servitude, Cristian Lucius is relegated to protecting earth from unwanted spirits. But he can’t accomplish this daunting task alone. He requires assistance from the very woman who frustrates him as much as she intrigues him. Cristian is determined to ignore his intense attraction for Ashley, and focus on his mission. If they don’t work together, they won’t have a chance in hell of defeating the demon threatening their lives. The problem is getting Ashley to trust him. No easy task, considering Cristian is the very man responsible for her father’s disappearance.

And just the other day I released my first Young Adult, The Mind Readers, a paranormal. Here’s the blurb:

Cameron Winters is a freak. Fortunately, no one but her family knows the truth …that Cameron can read minds. For years Cameron has hidden behind a facade of normalcy, warned that there are those who would do her harm. When gorgeous and mysterious Lewis Douglas arrives he destroys everything Cameron has ever believed and tempts her with possibilities of freedom. Determined to embrace her hidden talents, Cameron heads to a secret haven with Lewis; a place where she meets others like her, Mind Readers.

But as Cameron soon finds out some things are too good to be true. When the Mind Readers realize the extent of Cameron’s abilities, they want to use her powers for their own needs. Cameron suddenly finds herself involved in a war in which her idea of what is right and wrong is greatly tested. In the end she’ll be forced to make a choice that will not only threaten her relationship with Lewis, but her very life.

HP: I have read all of Lori’s books and loved them. Most my readers are paranormal romance readers so I’m sure you will love love love The Ghost Hunter. And, even though I don’t really read young adult (because I like the naughty scenes in adult books too much). Wait, did I just say that? LOL Anyhoo….I LOVED the Mind Readers. This book will make you think your going down one path and then pull the path right up from under your feet. It is awesome. A total page turner. And, for those of you who love historical romance (with paranormal elements), Wild Heart is awesome. Leo, the main hot dude, is insanely alpha and sexy as all get out. OK, back to you, Lori, when did you start writing?

L: No really, please feel free to continue talking about my work J. I started writing about nine years ago. I never thought I’d be an author, my goal was to be the female Indiana Jones. But now I can find adventure by writing and sitting on the couch and eating…wow, really not doing much for that stereotype of the lazy American.

HP: Tell us why you decided to become an indie…

L: I had The Ghost Hunter sitting on my computer. I’d had a lot of interest from editors in N.Y. but they all wanted changes or there was something they didn’t like. When I heard about how much other authors were making by going Indie, I decided to give it a try. Like I said, it was just sitting on my computer so why not? I really had nothing to lose.

HP: What is your favorite of all your books?

L: Whichever book I’m working on at the moment. lol. Honestly, I feel like all 4 (the 4th will be out with Kensington in March) are so different and offer such a different take and characters that it’s hard to pick. But I do think they all have one thing in common, suspense or adventure.

Okay…if I had to pick I’d go with my YA The Mind Readers because I’m really excited to see where this book goes and excited to start book 2.

HP: Who are some of your favorite indie authors? And, of course, you can mention me. LOL

L: I’ve been so busy writing I have no time to read! Of course you’re my favorite, H.P.! Edie Ramer is the author who introduced me to Epublishing and Amanda Hocking is great.

HP: Can you tell us about your current projects? Note to readers: Lori is like an octopus, she has about 3-4 projects going at a time and I admire her for it. Me, I can only work on one at a time.

L: lol. True! I just put up The Mind Readers, and now I’ll be working on a short story for an anthology with a variety of other Indie authors, including your very own H.P.

My short story will be a spinoff of my first and second Kensington book, so a historical paranormal. Then I want to work on another historical paranormal. And of course write book 2 to The Ghost Hunter and The Mind Readers. And I have another contemporary paranormal that I started awhile back….

HP: OK, I really want to talk more about your next paranormal historical…can you tell us about that?

L: Yes! Funny enough, it’s with a N.Y. editor right now. Of course I’d be happy if she wanted it, but on the other hand, I love Indie publishing so much that I would have to think long and hard before I’d accept another N.Y. contract.

I wrote this historical probably 3 years ago, maybe 2. Just recently I realized it would work great as paranormal. As for what it’s about… I’d say it’s sort of like a more suspenseful and darker version of Pride and Prejudice if Darcy was a vampire. It’s not at all a revamp to P&P but it does have similar elements.

HP: Vampires or werewolves?

L: Vampires! Werewolves would get fur all over the house and I’ve already got one dog to clean up after.

HP: When you aren’t writing, what keeps you busy?

L: We like to hike and travel as a family. I love the beach! I also like art; drawing, painting, photography, although I don’t do much.

HP: Where can my readers find out about you on the web? Do you have a facebook page they can join?

L: My website is www.LoriBrighton.com where you can find links to my blog, my poor blog that has been sadly neglected. And yes, I’m on Facebook and Twitter somewhere.

HP: Thanks for stopping by today, Lori! Oh, and Lori is going to be offering a giveaway of Ghost Hunter and Mind Readers to two lucky winners so just leave a comment on this blog and we will let you know if you won! This is going to be a pretty short contest and the winner will be announced Monday. Oh, and Ghost Hunter is only .99 on Amazon and Barnes and Noble for a limited time so do yourselves a favor and pick it up!

L: Thanks so much H.P.!

17 comments:

  1. LOL! That was fun to read ladies. I had no idea you could be both traditionally published and indie published. That is a thought I would like to explore more in depth.

    I hope you both are having a wonderful holiday season and thank you for a chance to win! Ms. Brighton I love the excerpt for The Ghost Hunter. Great job!

    Warm Wishes,
    Talina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Mind Readers and Ghost Hunter covers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am going to just go and buy Lori Brighton's books. They sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great interview! Since I read and LOVED both your books I have to say that you both have a great critique partner. LOL =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, thanks Aaron! Aaron designed the covers for me :)

    Talina, you can write for two different publishers, or you can write for a publisher and self publish, as long as your contract allows it. Even though my second Kensington book isn't out yet, my contract has expired, so I can do what I want! Even if it hadn't expired, the contract only said I had to send them my next Historical romance. Since The Mind Readers and The Ghost Hunter weren't Historicals, I would have been fine publishing them anyway. That's the key, its in the wording.

    Thanks for stopping by Erin! Hope you enjoy the books!

    lol, thanks Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely be reading your books Lori. Thank you, they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, these books look good. I've read your historical and liked it so I know I will like these. Thanks for the chance to win them.

    iqb99@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to check these out! Like H.P., I appreciate the differences between YA, ad adult writing. *guilty as charged* Anyway, I saw Ghost Hunter pop up on my Amazon recommendations and had planned to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, as I love HP's, I figured yours must be as good. Bought both and will read and review them.

    I've learned that critique partners usually produce comprable quality! Can't wait to read them. I read a lot of YA, as my daughter writes it. (yes, I'm getting old,lol).

    Typed on my iPad. Ignore typos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview,cant wait to read these .I love the covers .Happy Holidays
    flanagan@mebtel.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. great interview. The books sound good.

    sgiden at verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Karleen! Thanks so much for stopping by and the kind words! I really appreciate it.

    Hi Danielle! I'm so glad you liked Wild Heart. I hope you like Wild Desire just as much. And if you like historicals, I do have a short story, historical romance, on my website where you can download it for free. Just go to my book shelf.

    Hi Krista! It's great to know that The Ghost Hunter is popping up in places :) As an author, that's good news!

    Hi Hope! Thank you so much for grabbing the books. I hope you like them!

    Hi Wanda! Thank you so much for the compliments! So glad you like the covers.

    Hi Sandy! Thanks so much for stopping by. I so appreciate all the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved loved Ghost Hunter, it's right up their with my fav. reads of 2010. I would love to get a chance to read Mind Readers, the cover is amazing. Congrats on your success, I'll be keeping my eye on you and eating up every bit of work you put out :)
    june111@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jolene! Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it and so glad you liked the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome interview! I like the blurbs for both books...they sound interesting :)
    throuthehaze at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Throuthehaze! Nice to see you here! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lori, Loved The Ghost Hunter. Cant wait for book 2 to be out.

    ReplyDelete