Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fun anecdotes about Halloweens past

I really love October. And second to Christmas, Halloween is my favorite holiday. Ever since I was little, Halloween always had something magical about it. When my brothers and I were growing up, mom would always decorate our house to the nth degree with all sorts of Halloween decorations. The one I’ll never forget was this horrible plastic poster thing that was maybe 4 feet high by 3 feet wide and it was a picture of two men on horses on some desolate background and one man was holding a sword in one hand and in the other hand, the other dude’s head! It was like the worst, most horrible picture in the world and every year she hung it in my brothers’ room. My brothers are twins and at the time they must have been about 12 (4 years younger than me) or so. I was scared to death of it and I think they were too. Crazy mom!

Aside from the hideous poster, we also celebrated each Halloween by watching those Halloween classics like Garfield’s Halloween adventure, Disney’s Sleepy Hollow and Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin. We dressed up each year of course. The best year costume wise was when my mom dressed my brothers up as nerds when they were maybe 6. But, they weren’t just nerds (funny masks with crazy hair) but they were super nerds because she made each of them a cape. LOL. I went as a princess but wasn’t very princess-like because I’d just had a bout with lice and mom had cut off all my hair so I looked more like a confused boy. That year we went trick or treating with my cousin who was my age and he was dressed as GI Joe and my brothers were so not happy about being super nerds. Course, today, their costumes are the ones that stand out and are ridiculously funny.

What about all of you? What are some of your greatest Halloween memories?

2 comments:

  1. I too remember watching all of those classics the other one we would always watch was the Disney Halloween special. But that haven't shown that in YEARS. Hmmm...now I really want to go out and rent Sleepy Hollow. One of my best memories was sitting in the trunk of neighbor's station wagon with a bunch of the neighborhood kids and we went trick or treating...the back of the station wagon of course was open. I think about it now and any of us could have fallen out and none of us were wearing seat belts. Hahaha and people think parents these days are stupid

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! Ah, what parents used to do!! LOL I forgot, I totally used to watch Disney's Halloween Special too...I distinctly remember Witch Hazel. I actually have that one on VHS also. LOL

    ReplyDelete